For more information about the day and why and how it came about click below:
Action for Happiness on UN International Day of Happiness
The main message for this year's Happy Day is to ACT:
C: Cheer Happy Heroes - celebrate the people who bring you and others happiness
T: Take part - do something to mark the day and spread some happiness
The idea is to concentrate on spreading happiness to others. Obviously because that way more people are reached, but also because one of the best ways to generate your own happiness, is to first make others happy.
You can take the pledge and find lots of ideas on how to get involved and all the events going on at a specially dedicated day of happiness website.
But for now, here are some of my own simple ideas for how you can spread some happiness today (and beyond!). And by the way, I have personally tried all of these so can vouch for them!
- Make a point of smiling at people you pass in the street. Many may think you're a bit loopy but you're guaranteed to get a few smiles back and give somebody a little lift
- In fact, just smile fullstop. That bonkers bloke on Ally McBeal who was always doing 'smile therapy' actually had a point...it's proven that smiling can make you feel happier as well as the other way round! Plus a smiler is nicer to look at than a grump for everyone else
- Make or buy somebody you wouldn't normally a tea or coffee, apropos of absolutely nothing other than making them happy
- Leave a little bit of small change in a vending machine or ticket machine for the next person to find
- Phone a friend or family member you haven't spoken to in a while who you know will appreciate it
- Pay a few randoms a compliment: "ooh, that cardigan really suits you!" and watch the effect it has
- Say thank you. A lot. Especially to somebody who has always been there for you but maybe you've not really expressed quite how grateful you are
- Hug! Be careful with that one...there are those who celebrate random hugging but just pick your victims carefully!
- Get outside, walk around, get some fresh air, go for a walk
- Do something different
- Teach somebody about something you know and love
- Learn a new skill
- Let somebody who you know isn't very happy at the moment that you're there and that you care
- Cheer your happy heroes with #happyheroes or using the Cheers app - let them know who they are
- Offer your services to somebody who could do with them, or volunteer
- Donate to Action for Happiness
- Write a letter to somebody who isn't into texting and email but never gets letters anymore
- Get lost in something you love, get into 'flow'
- Share and retweet all the news you see about #happyday and #happyheroes to spread the word
- Savour the moment, enjoy it, live in it rather than worrying about the one coming next
- Share the moment
- If it floats your boat, meditate. If not, at least be mindful, especially of how you're reacting to others
- Force yourself, if something crappy happens, to reframe it, to find a new angle on it, to see it from a different perspective and to find a positive even if only a tiny glimmer. Then share it
- Choose today to start your own happiness habit...read my other blog posts or my facebook page The Happy Catalyst for plenty of ideas and inspiration
- End the day by finding and mulling over three things you're grateful for today
- Enjoy it!
I'd love to hear your own ideas of how we can all spread happiness today and beyond in the comments box below so please do share.
I hope everybody has a really happy Happiness Day, whatever you're doing, and that little by little we get the message out there that happiness and wellbeing are truly what matter most.