Wednesday 20 March 2013

Doing my little bit

As we near the end of the first ever UN decreed Day of Happiness, I thought rather than just sit here writing about happiness and how to increase it for yourself and others, I would a) get out there and do it myself and b) write about how my 'happy' day went.

First of all, to be honest, it was much like any other day. I say that not in a downer sort of way but in a good way. I say that because I purposefully wanted today to be pretty much like any other day, just with a bit more mindfulness of the happiness cause than usual...(which is saying something in my case!)

I love that there are celebrations of all kinds going on all across the world but for me, the actions we take today need to be replicable every day as well for this to really work.

Also, on the face of it I don't really feel like I really did much, or achieved much, or got anything done today. But when I look at the list below, all the little things really add up. Reading it back made me smile. Reading it out to my husband made him smile. Happiness spread: job done already!

So, with all that in mind, here are all the bits and bobs I did today to live and spread happiness in my own little way. Happy Day, as lived by me:

  • A generous helping of sharing, shouting, tweeting and blogging about happiness, #happyday #happy heroes and all related happiness shenanigans. I would apologise to anybody on the receiving end of my bombardment but I shan't. It's good for you so there.
  • 2 good deeds involving things I find tiresome and boring but that I know the recipients will really appreciate.
  • One bit of cruddy news threatening to turn day sour, re-framed
  • A sprinkle of smile therapy to help with the above: Saw a cloud, looked on the bright side
  • Made a new friend :)
  • Chatted with my nearest and dearest about nothing in general, just because
  • A trio of grandparents grateful for a call and up to date with my news
  • Up and out of bed early to make the most of the day 
  • (Then got stuck doing one of earlier mentioned deeds thanks to v slow computer but am reframing that to 'flow'!)
  • Actively decided not to stress and not to pursue thinking that I know leads to stress, something I am particularly susceptible to. Am hoping I can carry that one through to tomorrow and its looming deadline or I'm in trouble.
  • Ate well, tidied home, moved around
  • Finally  mastered something I've been struggling with for ages. Woo hoo!
  • Got outside in the fresh air and walked around aimlessly just taking it all in
  • Smiled at everybody and nobody in particular...it helps if they'll actually make eye contact but when they do, it works
  • Said I love you to three different people (all relatives, just to clarify!)
  • Treated myself to some cheap and cheerful tulips and some new (in the sale) bath oil to soak in later
  • Left a penny for somebody else to find
  • Left some change in the self check out coin tray to cheer up the next weary shopper
  • Took my time poring over a new book
  • Lingered outside a pretty shop window enjoying the spring display (since 'tis also the spring Equinox today)
  • Gave my husband a great big hug after a long and silly day at work
  • Snuggled down in front of some nice cooking programmes and a series we're watching together
  • Shared it all with you.
Nothing big. Nothing earth shattering. Nothing special. But all with happiness in mind, and happiness in my heart.

If I have made even just one person a teeny weeny smidgeon happier today, then I have done my bit and I can go to bed happy.

Sweet dreams x

No comments:

Post a Comment

please do join in the chat...feedback makes me happy!