Friday 27 April 2012

Who are you?

How would you answer that question?

Imagine you're at a party or conference and somebody asks who you are, how do you answer?

What about "what do you do?"

What's the first thing that comes to mind to answer that one?

Hands up whose answer had something to do with their job? Or their relationship to somebody else entirely? (I'm so and so's friend, wife, colleague, mum?)

What if you had to answer both of those questions without mentioning your name, your job or other people.

Now how would you answer?

Could you answer?

How many of us stop to really think about who we are, in our own right or what we do that is more than earn money or serve other people in some way or other?

How many of us have really considered our values?

I'll come to those in a later post. But for now, just ask yourself "who am I?" and every answer you give, ask yourself again "who am I that's more than that?" and keep going until there really is no more. You might surprise yourself.

I'm pretty sure we'd all feel a lot better about ourselves and achieve a much greater sense of purpose and direction in life if we took some time to work out our answers to these questions. And I'm pretty sure we'd be much more interesting guests at that party or conference if we then actually gave those answers too!

And I bet that even if you don't specifically go through those questions above, your brain is mulling it all over right now, just by reading this your answers are already starting to form.

So, go on, have a think. I know I have.

No comments:

Post a Comment

please do join in the chat...feedback makes me happy!